The Philippines’ Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has cancelled the Alien Employment Permits (AEPs) of six Chinese nationals linked to Chuangxing Steel Incorporated following a joint inspection of the company’s facility in Magalang, Pampanga.
The workers’ records have been transferred to the Bureau of Immigration to initiate deportation proceedings, DOLE said on August 11.
The action followed a joint raid by state law enforcement agencies at the steel plant, where authorities raised concerns over serious workplace health and safety risks, including the potential presence of nuclear waste and radioactive materials on the premises.
During an August 11 Lupong Pamagawa hearing led by DOLE Secretary Francis N. Tolentino, the department also raised concerns over alleged illegal foreign labour at the facility.
According to DOLE, the six workers had been brought directly from mainland China without the required legal documentation and employment permits.
Tolentino ordered the immediate cancellation of their AEPs, reiterating the department’s responsibility to protect Filipino workers and ensure their rights and welfare.
A DOLE investigation also found several alleged labour violations at the facility. The company reportedly failed to produce basic employment records and did not properly pay employees their overtime and holiday wages.
The department further said the company had failed to provide mandatory employee benefits, including coverage under the Social Security System (SSS), PhilHealth and Pag-IBIG. It also allegedly failed to establish a Workplace Sexual Harassment Policy and a Committee on Decorum and Investigation.
Tolentino directed Bantayan Manpower Services to cooperate fully with DOLE Regional Office 3 and address outstanding compliance issues, particularly those involving unpaid or incorrectly calculated wages and mandatory benefits.
The work stoppage order issued against Chuangxing Steel’s Magalang facility on July 25, 2026, also remains in effect, DOLE confirmed.
Speaking during the hearing, Tolentino said, “This hearing should also bring changes to the mechanism and process for protecting Filipino workers.”
DOLE said it will continue coordinating with other government agencies to profile the workforce, verify employment records and provide assistance to affected workers.
The action comes as Philippine authorities continue to step up enforcement of labour and workplace safety regulations, including requirements governing the employment of foreign nationals.
