People Matters Logo

Malaysia drafts new plan to fight forced labour by 2030

• By Anjum Khan
Malaysia drafts new plan to fight forced labour by 2030

Malaysia is strengthening efforts to eliminate forced labour by 2030, as the Ministry of Human Resources convened key stakeholders late last month to refine the country’s next national strategy. 

Representatives from government, employers, workers’ groups, and civil society gathered on November 20 and 21 for a two-day workshop, held with technical support from the International Labour Organization (ILO), to review the draft National Action Plan on Forced Labour (NAP-FL) for 2026–2030. 
Rafea'ah Binti Nahar, undersecretary of the ministry’s Policy Division, said the updated plan must be “proactive, effective, and committed to the nation’s aspiration of eliminating forced labour by 2030.” 
The discussions focused on strengthening governance structures and ensuring coordinated implementation across Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah, and Sarawak. 
According to the ILO, the draft includes renewed commitments to prevention, tighter oversight of labour migration and recruitment, stronger enforcement and compliance mechanisms, and enhanced protection and remedy pathways for victims, including migrant workers. 
A new plan as the current one nears expiry The new draft comes as Malaysia’s first NAP-FL (2021–2025) expires this year. 
Independent experts, however, say progress has been uneven. Yvonne Tan, Senior Researcher in Social Policy and National Integration at the Institute of Strategic and International Studies, noted that the plan’s impact in curbing forced labour “has been limited.” 
She pointed out that high recruitment fees charged by private agencies continue to trap migrant workers in debt bondage. “These fees plunge workers into a cycle of debt and dependency that makes them vulnerable to exploitation,” she said in a commentary for the Lowy Institute. 
Tan said a zero-cost migration model offers a more sustainable path but requires strict monitoring, more labour inspectors, and credible grievance mechanisms. “Malaysia’s struggle cannot be solved through surface-level reforms alone,” she added. 
“It requires addressing the root cause: a migration system that financially exploits vulnerable workers before they even begin employment.” A collaborative effort The ILO said the latest draft plan reflects an “inclusive and comprehensive” process aligned with Malaysia’s obligations under the ILO Forced Labour Convention, 1930 (No. 29), and its 2014 Protocol. 
“Through collective action, we are building a future where forced labour is consigned to history,” said Tuomo Poutiainen, Deputy Regional Director of the ILO for Asia and the Pacific. 
Following the workshop, the HR Ministry will refine the draft for review by relevant ministries before submitting it to the Cabinet. The ILO will continue to support implementation through several cooperation projects funded by Canada, Japan, the European Union, and UNICEF-partnered initiatives in Sabah.