Singapore has stepped up workplace safety measures following seven worker fatalities across five incidents over a four-week period from the end of May to June 2026, with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) identifying vehicle-related activities and individual worker lapses as areas of concern.
Acting Minister for Manpower Jasmin Lau said investigations into the incidents are ongoing and have not identified a single underlying cause.
The fatalities occurred across different industries and under different circumstances, making it difficult to establish one common systemic factor behind the incidents, Lau said in Parliament on August 4.
“Preliminary findings do not point to a single underlying cause as the incidents occurred across different industries and circumstances,” she said.
Responding to questions about whether factors such as inadequate risk assessments, poor supervision, unsafe work practices or commercial pressures had contributed to the fatalities, Lau said preliminary findings had highlighted vehicle-related activities, including traffic accidents on the roads, as well as individual worker lapses.
MOM has since introduced a series of measures aimed at strengthening workplace safety and accountability.
A nationwide voluntary Safety Time-Out was held from June 26 to July 9, calling on employers to review their work processes and engage workers and supervisors on workplace risks.
The ministry also introduced enhanced enforcement measures from June 26 to July 31, including higher composition fines for workplace safety offences and longer minimum durations for Stop-Work Orders.
The Multi-Agency Workplace Safety and Health Taskforce (MAST) was convened on July 27 and subsequently issued an advisory on strengthening measures for work-related traffic safety.
MAST has also been expanded to include the Ministry of Home Affairs and Traffic Police, strengthening a whole-of-government approach to tackling traffic-related workplace risks.
MOM said it would continue working with industry partners and unions to strengthen workplace safety and vigilance.
Lau also addressed questions about workplace safety lessons from a fatal incident at PUB’s Choa Chu Kang Waterworks in May 2024.
The incident involved three workers employed by Stargroup Est. Pte Ltd and its subcontractor who collapsed after entering an enclosed passage beneath a water treatment tank during cleaning operations.
The workers had been exposed to hydrogen sulphide gas, with two subsequently dying.
As the case is before the courts, MOM said it could not comment on the specific lessons that could be drawn from the incident.
However, the ministry said the incident underscored the serious risks associated with confined-space work and the importance of established safety procedures.
Employers conducting confined-space work must carry out proper risk assessments before work begins, test the atmosphere before entry and provide appropriate respiratory protective equipment where required.
They must also implement a safe system of work, including ensuring that a trained person remains outside the confined space to monitor workers inside, maintain communication and provide assistance in emergencies.
MOM said it regularly engages public agencies to share workplace safety and health insights, including lessons from past incidents.
The ministry may also recommend that agencies strengthen their workplace safety practices, including the supervision of contractors, where necessary.
The latest measures highlight the government’s focus on higher-risk activities, including work involving vehicles, road traffic and confined spaces.
MOM said it would continue working with agencies, employers, workers, unions and industry partners to strengthen workplace safety and health practices across Singapore.
